Friday, August 10, 2018

Adulting is not what I was expecting!

You know all of our obvious struggles lately or can at least guess what they might be. But man alive you guys, I still find myself screaming, "REALLY?!" to absolutely no one so many times... There are so many things that I didn't know when I decided to really try this adult stuff.  I have many examples. And I won't list names, because, I'm better than that.  And also, I can't keep their names straight anyway.

One of the things I am the most confused by is poop. In the toilet.  What happens in there? They go in, they do their business, finish, and figure, "oh, mom will be so proud of this, I think I'll leave it for her".  Or is it, "well that was so much work I simply can't extend my arm to push that little silver lever".  Or is getting out every single toy we own just so pressing they simply do not have time to flush it down?! I suppose it is my fault.  I taught them when to use the bathroom, where to go to the bathroom, how to use the bathroom. But I suppose I forgot to STRESS the importance of flushing like I stress the importance of toilet paper and then soap and water.  Parenting fails, obviously.

The same ranking on the list would be putting empty things back where they came from.  Now, our kitchen isn't THAT big.  But, in all fairness, their legs are shorter than mine.  I can see how it would require like two or three steps to go from the fridge to the garbage.  I brought this to their attention.  And I am not kidding, they have all perfected the all-important life skill of leaving barely ANY product in the container so they can say, well, it's not gone yet.

The last one, I just can't understand.  I have a shoe basket in the entryway.  Directly next to the door when they come inside.  All they have to do is place the shoes in the basket.  But I think someone must be paying them per shoe that is left OUTSIDE the shoe basket.  They have to be. Because I kid you not, the shoes never go in the basket.  I'll even go out there, and put all the shoes laying on the floor in the basket, and then I come back out and sure enough, there are all the shoes back on the floor and the basket laying next to them.

I've asked said accused of these transgressions.  And you know what they say?! "Mom, ghosts." Yup.  At least I don't question if I have an extra child named, 'wasn't me'.  Oyi...   Ghosts, can you please flush the turds, throw away empties, and leave the shoes in the basket? Please? Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have 'not me' living with you. We celebrated his birthday in October near Halloween 🎃👻. I bet you didn't know there was a 5th Benike kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you forget your kid's name, too? ha!! It's always the ghosts here... just ask them! ;)

      Delete
  2. My kiddo loves to leave just enough product that it touches the bottom of the label. That way it looks like you have almost double what you really do... it’s a great life skill obviously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you could use that. I open the door, see the milk jug and go oh, ok, we have "some". Cook, and then when I need the milk, and oh, yeah that isn't even a taste, let alone measureable. Ugh.

      Delete